|Preparation time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking time:||20 minutes prep + 25 mins cooking|
- 200g baby potatoes, quartered
- 150g fresh broad beans, podded
- 150g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 large (or 4 small) spring onions, sliced
- The zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp pesto
- A handful of fresh herbs (thyme, chives, parsley, tarragon, fennel, mint etc)
- A handful of shredded or thinly sliced greens (such as kale, cabbage, silverbeet etc)
- Some edible flowers for serving (such as thyme, watercress, chive, rocket etc)
- Radish to serve, sliced
- Salt & pepper
Using a heavy based pan, heat the oil and then add potatoes and spring onions. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring gently.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes until potatoes are softened and cooked through.
Add zucchini, beans and peas to the pan and simmer gently for a few minutes before adding the shredded greens. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
Stir through the lemon juice, lemon zest and pesto. Remove the pan from the heat and, with the lid left on, leave to stand for a few minutes.
Meanwhile chop the herbs finely and stir into the stew just before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle the stew into dishes and top with some fresh herbs, radish and edible flowers.
Best served with crusty bread.
- This recipe can easily be adapted by substituting different ingredients you have on hand.
- To make this stew more of a soup consistency, simply add more stock. You may also wish to chop the veggies more finely for this style of dish. Alternatively, for a thicker consistency, simply reduce the amount of stock and serve this as a tasty alternative to mashed potato alongside a steak or other cuts of meat.
- Using pesto will impart a lovely subtle flavour, whether it’s homemade or the shop bought variety. Add to the dish to suit your preference. Try different versions of pesto such as garlic pesto which gives it a delicious strong garlic flavour.
Recipe from Sarah Hemsley | A Slow Gathering 2020
|Signature 18cm Cooks Knife|
|Signature 10cm Vegetable knife|
|Signature 14cm Santoku Knife|
|Iona Bright Cutlery|